Friday, February 5, 2010

Intro

Hey all,
I had the idea to start a blog about music the other day as I was driving home from Cincinnati. While driving, I came across a song that I hadn't heard in awhile and immediately thought of my friend Dan who said he was in search of new music. I realized that I try to get my friends to listen to new music that I've been enjoying in hopes that they enjoy it as well and I often forget to tell some people about bands they might like. This blog will be my way of getting the music out to those who are interested. I'll try to post pictures and links to the bands and songs that I list on here to make it user friendly, but be patient as I'm new to this whole blogging thing.

The jam of the week is derived from a couple of friends from Ohio State, Herm and Allison. Herm the Jew was my roommate for two years and a neighbor for another year. He likes to make fun of the fact that I have a new favorite band weekly. Allison finds it peculiar that any song that I like, I consider my jam. She believes that one is entitled to claim only one song as "my jam". So hear goes my first jam of the week.

Lately I've been listening a lot to the new Vampire Weekend album, "Contra". I first started listening to Vampire Weekend a couple years ago after reading about them in The Rolling Stone. Their self titled debut album was nothing like I had ever heard before. This genre bending group of graduates from Columbia College mix punk, power pop and western African beats to form a unique sound that is all their own.

The album, "Vampire Weekend" remains one of my favorites of all time and although their latest album isn't on the same level, it's still getting heavy rotation from this guy. My favorite jam on this album is Run. It's one of the most upbeat cuts off the album and most resembles their first album that I enjoyed so much.

If you enjoy Vampire Weekend, I'd suggest checking out Foreign Born, Discovery and The Very Best.

That's about it for now. Feel free to leave comments.

Oh, and buy Contra.

1 comment:

  1. I love the unabashed elitism of Vampire Weekend. It reminds me of New England. Haven't heard the new album yet. Nice first pick.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter