Monday, February 22, 2010

Avett Bros

Hey all- I'm back again after a fun weekend in Columbus. I'm going to try and do something new this week so hopefully the few of you who read this will like it. Feel free to leave some feedback.

Throughout the week I'll be giving out tid bits of information and some vital songs for you guys to listen to from a band I'm really psyched to see this Saturday. This band has recently been getting the respect that they've deserved since they released their first LP in 2002. This band teamed up with Rick Rubin, most famous for bringing rap to the mainstream, on it's first major label release, 2009's I and Love and You. The band is the Avett Brothers, a three piece band that I'd describe as a mix between Charlie Daniels Band and Coldplay.

Today I'm going to talk about my favorite Avett Brother album, 2004's Mignonette. This album, their third, is a perfect blend between the country twang and indie rock. Some of the more country songs on the album include "Signs", "Nothing Short of Thankful", and my favorite cut, "Please Pardon Yourself". All of these songs are pretty heavy on the banjo but still have a sentimental singer song writer vibe to them that reminds me a bit of some of John Mayer's better work. If you're more interested in acoustic love songs then check out "Swept Away", "New Love Song" or "One Line Wonder". For more upbeat songs, tune into "At the Beach" or "Pretty Girl from Cedar Lane"(sidenote to follow). Sorry if I overwhelmed you with links on this post, but I absolutely love this album and I want to get as much of this material out there as possible. Realistically, you should just buy the album and listen to it on repeat.

Sidenote: Something that I find really witty and cool about The Avett Brothers is there "pretty girl" songs. These albums are about girls they know, presumably current or former love interests. Instead of addressing the girls by name, they just give them a description in the song title. On every album they released before I and Love and You, they had at least one pretty girl song.

More Avett Bros and pretty girl songs to follow tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter